Blog

"Bone Treats" Linked to Dog Deaths

temp-post-image

The FDA warns giving dogs store-bought bone treats could kill them

Before you go out and buy bone treats for your dog this holiday season, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued a warning for pet owners. The FDA has received 68 reports of pet illnesses, including 15 deaths related to these seemingly harmless treats. In total, around 90 dogs were involved in the reports (some reports included more than one dog).

As most of you conscientious pet owners know that it's not a good idea to pass dogs turkey and chicken bones under the table, the FDA says what we vets have been saying for years that processed and packaged bone treats sold at pet stores and online can also lead to symptoms such as:

  • gastrointestinal obstruction
  • choking, cuts and wounds in the mouth or the esophagus
  • vomiting
  • diarrhea, and/or bleeding from the rectum.

Although the FDA didn't mention specific brands, the illnesses have been linked to: ham bones, pork femur bones, rib bones and smokey knuckles bones. One of the most common conditions that I treat in my hospital is gastrointestinal inflammation caused by dogs (and cats) eating food/treats that they shouldn't have been consuming. And if you give your dog a bone treat, your dog may become ill and need unexpected treatment. Please heed this warning and keep these bones out of your pets mouth.

To keep you pup safe

  • Keep trashcans and dinner platters containing chicken, turkey and steak bones out of reach.
  • Checking with your vet about which chew toys and treats they recommend.
  • Always supervise your dog with any new toy or treat.

~Dr. Jahan Rana

Hours

Monday8:00AM - 6:00PM
Tuesday8:00AM - 6:00PM
Wednesday8:00AM - 6:00PM
Thursday8:00AM - 6:00PM
Friday8:00AM - 6:00PM
Saturday9:00AM - 2:00PM
SundayCLOSED

 

  

Vaccine Clinic:
Tuesday 2:00 PM-6:00 PM and Saturday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM

 

Low Cost Spay and Neuter

 

Contact