Blog

A Bee/insect stung your dog! Now what?

Dog Stung By A Bee

We’re heading into Spring and with the change of season, our thoughts turn to Easter celebrations, spring cleaning and much-needed home improvement projects. Before you embark on seasonal chores, please be careful of potential sp ringtime hazards for your furry friends.
Any insect or spider can cause problems if they bite or sting your pet. A bite or sting can cause swelling, redness, and itching. Some animals can have an allergic reaction to a sting or bite that may result in mild hives, facial swelling, vomiting, difficulty breathing or even collapse.

What to Do:
1. If the stinger can be found, scrape it out with a credit card or other stiff material. Alternatively, use tweezers by grasping the stinger, which is located below the venom sac. If the sting just happened, don't put pressure on the venom sac, as that would inject more of the venom into the pet.

2. Apply cool compresses to the area.

3. To help neutralize some of the acidic venom, apply a paste mixture of baking soda and water to the sting area.

4. Your pet should be examined immediately by a veterinarian if there is facial swelling, breathing difficulty or collapse.

What NOT to Do:
5. Do not administer any medications without first contacting your veterinarian or a veterinary emergency hospital. The veterinarian may need to examine your pet before recommending medications.

Jahan Rana, DVM

Hours

Monday8:00AM - 6:00PM
Tuesday8:00AM - 6:00PM
Wednesday8:00AM - 6:00PM
Thursday8:00AM - 6:00PM
Friday8:00AM - 6:00PM
Saturday9:00AM - 2:00PM
SundayCLOSED

Vaccine Clinic:
Tuesday 2:00 PM-6:00 PM and Saturday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM

Low Cost Spay and Neuter

Contact